DDU ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
18th Annual General Meeting
Date : 23/04/2016
It indeed is a matter of great pleasure for me to present the annual reports of the Association for the year 2014-2015 and 2015-16. I am happy to inform you that the Association has made good progress at several fronts under the leadership of Dr. H. M. Desai, our president. I intend to give a brief account of the status of the Association and also the activities carried out in the last two years.
It has been the motto of the association to:
- Initiate academic activities by motivating the students for curricular and extra-curricular activities
- Sustain the activities by providing financial and other supports to the students and organizers.
- Encourage other organizations/ agencies to undertake joint project with the Association.
- Provide financial support to deserving needy students.
- Awarding merit-cum-means scholarship of Rs. 5000/- each to 30 students, amounting to a total sum of Rs. 1,50,000/- (Rupees One Lakh fifty thousand only), for each of the last two years.
- Anil Manubhai Shah Scholarship of Rs. 1,00,000/- (Rupees one lac only) has been awarded to the Semester I to VII of Chemical Engineering students and Semester I to VI of Diploma Chemical Engineering students for the last two years.
- Smt. Jayagauri Joshipura Paritoshik of Rs. 1150/- instituted by Mr. Urvish Yagnik is awarded to the topper of final year Chemical Engg. Student.
- Association has provided financial assistance to students towards travel grant of Rs. 2520/ in 2014-15 and Rs. 7580/-in 2015-16 for participating in various academic activity.
- Interest Free Loan Scholarship Fund: Donations received during 2014-15 was Rs. 1.6 lakhs and Rs. 1.0 lakh in 2015-16.
- Association has started the project of “Distribution of full-scale note books at the concessional rate to the students” in 2009 and has become permanent project of the Association. The expenditure for the same for the 2014-15 year was Rs. 1.92 lakh and last year Rs. 1.98 lakh.
- Mr Deepak Babaria, an Outstanding Alumnus of 1974 batch has offered Interest Free Loan Scholarships each of Rs. 25000/- to our FOUR students from the Jan Utkarsh Trust, Ahmedabad for the past and current year also.
- The Association had conferred Outstanding Alumnus Award to Mr Shakil Kadri and Ms Sarita Naik based on their achievements in their respective fields, contribution to their Alma Mater and society at large. Life Time Achievement Award was presented to Dr P. A. Joshi for his selfless services to DDU Alumni Association. Dr Joshi has given Rs. 1 lakh each in year 2013-14, 14-15 and 15-16. And total Rs. 3.75 lakh to the Interest Free Loan Scholarship until now.
- Mr Jaimin Vasa has established an Appreciation Award of Rs. 11,000/- in the name Shree Rasiklal Vasa Foundation to the first rank holder of B E Chem Engg.
- Prof. Shailesh Gandhi (1978) pass out of Chemical Engineering Department and our Outstanding Alumnus Award winner has been appointed as the Dean (Programs) of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. The Association has taken the note of his great achievement.
- Mr Sanjay Bhavasar, OSD, PMO, an alumnus of Chemical Engineering Department (1984) is promoted to IAS cadre. We congratulate him. He has been helping the University in dealing with CMO and PMO.
- Mr. Jaimin Vasa, Managing Director – Vasa Pharmachem Pvt Limited and alumnus of Chemical Engineering Department (1975) has been awarded in the “SMALL ENTERPRISE” category for “GROWTH IN PRODUCTION AND PROFIT” for the year 2013-2014”. Award was given by Smt.Anandiben Patel, Hon’ble Chief Minister Government of Gujarat on Saturday 20th June’2015.
- It was decided that each Department should organize Alumni Get-together individually. Under instruction from VC Sir, such meetings have been organized by BCA department (3/1/16), Civil Engineering Department (7/2/2016), IC department (28/2/2016).
- Our University has planned the most ambitious project of starting the Medical faculty and the Foundation Stone laying Ceremony was held on 1st April, 2016 in august presence of Dr N D Desai, the President of the University, Hon. Anandiben Patel, Chief Minister of Gujarat and Hon. Nitin Patel, Health and Urban development Minister, GoI.
(Dr. P.A.Joshi) (Dr. H.M.Desai)